Thursday, February 16, 2023

Fight for Joy

The night before leaving for our one month deployment, I became ill. Because I already deal with chronic health issues, I was very discouraged during travel and our first week of ministry.
 
I still wasn’t feeling well and kept thinking, “why am I enduring through all of this when I could just go home, and it’d be so much easier?” It made me go through my day without joy. Because of my lack of joy, I wasn’t the best teammate to have. 
 
However, my teammates showed patience and kindness. They did not judge me but took me aside, prayed for me, and looked for ways they could encourage me. They had empathy and showed me Christ’s love and compassion. They also wrote me notes and encouraged me as I taught English. They helped me see that fighting for joy is so worth it! They kept reminding me of God's word in Hebrews 4:14-16; Christ knows what I’m going through! He went through it as well, and He is not far from me in my trials. I was also able to share with some youth about the reality of my trials with my health and how I have seen God’s goodness even in sickness.   
 
-Darla Ray
NT365 Student
Southeast Asia

 

 "For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need." Hebrews 4:15-16