Sunday, August 7, 2016

Challenges in coming home...

If you know somebody coming home after living in a different country for a couple of months (aka NTers) love on them. Listen to them, act interested, set up coffee dates, pray for them, and be patient with them. One of the biggest challenges I have faced coming home after living overseas for the summer was transitioning from living like a minimalist to.... not. 

In this pic I'm holding a basket with clothes in it. Those are all the clothes I had for two months. I could wash all of them at once. And I LOVED it. Every aspect of it. (Side note: contentment comes when worry goes away. That's a battle for all females I know for sure when it comes to outward appearance.) Coming home to having much more than that made me angry honestly. Extremely angry. (Which isn't good, I know. I have had to work through that.) 

There's a lot more I could say about that, but the Lord molds people into who He wants them to be through times like that. Two months isn't that long at all, but it can leave it's effect on someone without outsiders ever knowing. So love on those around you who did just come back or will be back soon. It is a struggle.

For those who stay months or years longer, you are my heroes. I respect you more than most on this planet and want you to know that I am praying for you, by name if I know you personally. The cost is great but the rewards are greater.

-Carley H, Riverboat Team, Philippines