Saturday, August 13, 2016

Reverse Culture Shock began with Automatic Toilets

Today marks two weeks back “home.” I put “home” in quotes because while I have been back with my family and some friends, life has not slowed down one little bit! It kind of feels like I’ve traveled across the world again in the two weeks I’ve been back. I wanted to write this blog post a little earlier than now, but with family vacation, retreats, and other events here and there I simply haven’t had a chance to sit down and write.
That being said… Reverse culture shock DID begin with automatic toilets, but that’s not all this post is about. Adjusting back to life in the US and the crazy busy schedule I had almost forgotten about has proved to be quite a challenge, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. Getting back into an incredibly fast-paced life and full schedule is a challenge in and of itself, but trying to remember all that I learned this summer and attempting to process what it could mean in regards to my future brings a new sense of challenge to returning home. Sharing about how God moved this summer can be hard because 1) I still don’t really know what to say, and 2) some people simply aren’t really interested in listening – especially if too much rambling is involved. Both of these things are okay. We were warned about them at debrief, and they have probably been the most challenging to me when it comes to reverse culture shock, but it’s okay. I may not be sure who I need to share with or even what I need to share, but I know I need to share. God didn’t send me overseas this summer for me to stay quiet when I returned. So, knowing that reading someone’s personal blog is a completely voluntary, I’m going to start sharing what I learned via this blog post.

What is a World Christian?

At debrief, we were given advice about many things in preparation for returning home. Much of that advice has probably been forgotten due to jet lag, but thankfully I took lots of notes during our sessions. I’d like to share some of what I learned in those sessions with you today.
This summer, we did a Bible study that taught us what being a World Christian means and what roles we can play as a World Christian. At debrief, we were taught about how we can continue striving to live as World Christians once we’re back home and back at school.
A World Christian is a Christian who has discovered the truth of God’s unfulfilled global purpose to reach all peoples. There are three main things one must focus on to successfully live as a World Christian. These are God’s Word, God’s World, and God’s Work.
A World Christian knows what God’s Word says about missions beyond the four or five verses that are typically the “go-to” verses used for mission trip themes and t-shirts. Our calling as Christians to reach the nations, to reach ALL the nations, is found throughout the entire Old and New Testaments. God wants to be known among ALL peoples, and WE have the task of working to make that happen.
Check out these verses to see God’s desire to be known:
Genesis 1:28, 9:1, 12:1-3, 26:4; Deuteronomy 4:4-6; Joshua 2:9-10; 1 Kings 4:34; Matthew 24:14, 28:18-20; Mark 16:15; Acts 1:8; and Revelation 7:9.
A World Christian also knows about God’s World. He or she knows about the 10/40 window where 80% of the world’s poorest people live and where 95% of the world’s unreached people groups can be found. They know that most of the 3.5+ billion people that live in this part of the world are following religions that do not know Grace. A World Christian knows these statistics and wants to play a part in doing something about it.
Finally, a World Christian knows about God’s Work, about how he or she can play an important role in reaching the Nations with the gospel. Whether a goer, sender, prayer, mobilizer, and/or welcomer, a World Christian is involved in God’s Work no matter where they are geographically. Different seasons of life may equal different habits or roles as a World Christian.

[GO – SEND – PRAY – MOBILIZE – WELCOME]

World Christian: A Christian who has discovered the truth of God’s unfulfilled global purpose to reach all peoples, and knows that he or she has a part in that task.

The Challenge

During our last night at debrief, we were given a challenge and an opportunity to commit to being a World Christian in thoughts and actions. I will leave you with that same challenge today.
Really believe the Gospel. The Good News is the answer for the whole world, and saying you believe it is saying you accept your role in the Great Commission.
Really count the cost. This means understanding that your life is His, your plans are His, and your future is His. ALL for His glory.
Really love Jesus more. Love Jesus more than the things, people, and opportunities of this world.

{Believe the Gospel // Count the Cost // Love Jesus More}

With graduation a mere four months away, the possibilities of what could be next never stop swirling in my mind. As I try to understand what the next chapter of my life is to hold according to God’s will, I pray I am successful in really believing the Gospel, really counting the cost, and really loving Jesus more. 
“I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me – the task of testifying to the gospel of God’s grace” Acts 20:24