Thursday, June 23, 2011

Open Hearts



Hello everybody!  Living in the Filipino jungle has definitely been an experience, but I am not complaining.  At the moment, our camp is in a small village.  The people here are so very friendly!  They even built us our very own CR (bathroom) out of bamboo and banana leaves.  We are so very blessed to be around such giving people.  Our goal here is to have as many Bible studies as possible that will hopefully grow into a church in the future.  Our Bible studies are stories that especially teach the fact that there is only one God, and only one way to get to Him!  There are a few villagers who have been quite receptive.  One lady specifically wants to continue the Bible studies after we leave.  Her name is Gloria, but we all call her Nanay, or mother.  One day one of my teammates Kelley felt very discouraged & homesick.  Nanay and her husband Tatay were very comforting.  Our hope is that the villagers will remember the stories and share them after we leave to their friends and neighbors.  God has taught me and my team this week about being completely reliant on Him.  God has blessed me with a wonderful team!  They are my home away from home.  Please pray that God will open the hearts of the Agta people to His Word.  Love all of you!

~ by Kari, Agta Team-Rinconada

Kelley Beth & Kari 

our Bible study last night 

O'Neal and some of the local guys 

Kari & Kelley Beth with Nanay

Greetings to everyone from the jungle!  I don’t even know how to begin to describe these past couple of weeks.  I have never experienced anything like this, and it has been hard, but God has been so faithful.  I just want to share one story of His goodness in answering our prayers.  The other morning my teammates Kari and O’Neal and I were all attempting to make pancakes over our fire pit outside.  This was a hard morning.  We hadn’t really been shown an opportunity for leading a consistent Bible study yet and we were praying for people to hear.  I was also very homesick that morning.  As we made pancakes, I thought about eating pancakes with my family the night before I left, and I couldn’t stop the tears.  I tried to hide them, but the man living in the hut next to our tent had seen.  As we visited his house later, he told me that he had hurt when he saw my tears because he knew I missed my family, and that he and his wife would be my “Tatay NS Nanay” (father and mother) while I was here.  He continued to tell us that his wife has confided to him that she wanted to continue a Bible study after we left and how eager she is to learn the Word of God.  This time, the tears were tears of joy!  The Lord had comforted me in my own pain, as well as showing us His faithfulness in providing open hearts and minds ready to hear.  He will redeem His people!  He also uses our weakest moments for His good.  Please pray for us that we will not shrink back in the low times, but that we will claim His promises.  Pray for the people, that their eyes will be opened and that they will be brought from darkness into light.  Thank you for your prayers!

~ Kelley Beth, Agta Team-Rinconada