Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Christmas... it's not about me

As we got closer and closer to Christmas, it’s been weird. It didn’t feel like Christmas here. It’s still 80+ degrees, little to no decorations, no hot chocolate, no Christmas movies, my family’s 9,000 miles away, no Christmas music, no present shopping, and did I mention... it’s hot here? 

A couple of days ago, if you talked to me about Christmas, I would just have avoided it. I wanted nothing to do with it because it just made me sad that I wasn’t going to be home. But the meaning of Christmas, as we all know, is about Jesus’s birth. It’s about how He came to give us love, hope and joy. No matter what’s going on in your year or life, that message always stays the same. I’ve grown up knowing this but being stripped of the Christmas traditions and things that also remind me of Christmas have just made me remember it more. 

Christmas isn’t about all those things I listed. It’s about Jesus. His life started for us. It started and it ended like ours does. But without Jesus, ours would have ended, and we wouldn’t have  the chance to go to heaven. Yet, because of Jesus, we do! I came here to share that chance with the people around me. To share with others that love, hope, and joy that I have in Jesus. 

So, even though my Christmas is looking a lot different this year... and it still makes me sad at times... this trip isn’t about me. If it was, I would probably be home right now for the holidays. But it’s about sharing the love of Jesus and what He’s done for us. I am honored that I get to share the true meaning of Christmas with the people i've met. I hope the true meaning of Christmas is still in your heart. 

Merry Christmas!
-Loren
NT365 Gap Year participant