Thursday, June 28, 2012

For the First Time

Kynsleigh and Amanda at Farlim Night Market with
 local students Ker Xin, Mandee, Kim, Big May, and Little May

   Three weeks ago, I got on an air plane for the first time.  Three weeks ago, I set foot on foreign soil for the first time.  And three weeks ago, I heard the speakers broadcast the call to prayer high in the air for the first time.  It's hard to know where to begin except with that our God is a God of new beginnings.  
    I've seen evidence of this in just three weeks.  He gave our new sister in Christ a new beginning through His saving grace, and everyday He has given me a new beginning to proclaim His glorious name in this nation.  It's been three weeks, but everyday I still wake up in amazement.  Amazed that I'm here.  In a different nation.  Ultimately my only purpose is to declare the name of Jesus.  It's been three years since I first felt God calling me to serve Him and love His people in a different nation.  Now that I'm here, it is so evident that our God keeps His promises and gives us the desires of our hearts.  That nothing we pray for is ever too big for Him.  And I pray for big things.  In these students.  In these campuses.  In this nation.
   On a normal day, we will enter a classroom, introduce ourselves, play a few games, and then get to know the students.  Last Monday, in one of these classrooms, I met a group of five girls that stole my heart.  Just like I would with my friends back home, we laughed, talked, and joked around with one another.  They couldn't wait to hang out and "take photo". During this time in class we had together, I found out that one was a Christian, three were Buddhist, and one was a "half and half" as they like to say.  The Holy Spirit has never made it more obvious to me before on a group of girls that I was called to pour into before.  
    My heart broke for theses girls who did not know the love of my Savior.  I knew it was my job to show them His love. To be His hands, His feet, His instrument.  Wednesday night they invited me to go the night market with them.  So of course, I willingly went.  They wanted me to try all of the local food.  So out of politeness, I did. Probably not the best decision. They would buy food after food for me to try.  And a night of eating chicken gizzards and who knows what else was more than enough Asian food for me.  But I would do it all again for the chance to show these girls the love of Christ.  At the end of the night, I knew that at least a seed was planted in their hearts.  I invited them to Bible study the next night, and two came which is so encouraging.  I know that my time is short here, but I plan to love these girls in Christ with all that I have.  To boast in Him.  To be ever joyful in Him.  I pray that God would do big things in their lives. 
Prayer
  • That the spirit would begin to move in these girls hearts. 
  • That our Thursday night Bible study would be an open door for nonbelievers to hear and experience the love of Christ.
  • That God would burden our hearts with certain people to focus on.
  • That the time we spend hanging out with the students would be intentional.
"For Jesus. Every word, every breath is for you."
-Kynsleigh