Saturday, October 14, 2023

Homesickness < His Love

The longer I’m away from home, the more I realize how much I took for granted. I miss riding in the car and talking with my mom. Sitting on the floor telling my dad every detail of my 6am-2pm shift. I miss listening to my youngest brother attempting to read his chapter book. I miss sharing a bathroom with my best friend. I miss my friends being a 20 minute drive or a phone call away. I miss being home alone.

It can be hard to stay focused on what God has called me to here when i'm missing home. I’m missing out on my brother’s senior year, lacrosse games, last prom, graduation. I’m not there to help him fill out college applications or give him girl advice. I’m missing out on friendships back home, new jobs, promotions, relationships. I’m missing out on living daily life with people back in America. I’m missing being with my church family, Worshipping together with people who have poured into me so much spiritually. Listening and praising God in my own language.

It can be hard because I’ve been praised for sacrificing so much. But I think of how easy my load is compared to the one who laid down His life for mine. 

I think of those who don’t know of the freedom we have in Christ. My heart is burdened by the lostness of the world. And it makes it easy to give up the comfort of my air-conditioned home in Dallas, GA. The ease of getting in my car and going for a drive, the privilege of a hot shower, the convenience of throwing my clothes in a washing machine. 

The homesickness, the sacrifices, none of it can be compared to the things Christ experienced because of my sin. And so many don’t know He did it for theirs too. Until then, I’ll sing His praise till the whole world hears.

-Gracen
NT365 Gap Year participant