Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Experiencing Truth

Over 165 million gallons of water flow over Victoria Falls every minute. An adult male lion's roar can be heard from up to 5 miles away. The night sky of the Southern hemisphere contains more visible stars than that of the Northern hemisphere. These facts are based on research, research that I, myself, have never done. However, this week I have experienced all three of these things, and I can confidently state that truth that comes from experience is much more profound than truth that comes from knowledge alone. I had heard all these facts before, but without experiencing them for myself they were little more than useless bits of information floating around my already cluttered mind.

Now, each of these facts is attached to a memory, to a moment when these awesome truths became real to me. I will never forget standing in the "mist" (which is really more of a torrential downpour) coming off of Victoria Falls, my arms flung wide, not caring that my feet were beginning to squish in my shoes or that my teeth were beginning to chatter. I reveled in the moment. Each minute that I stood there a few drops out of those 165 million gallons landed on my upturned face. The sheer enormity of Victoria Falls became very real to me in that moment. How small was I compared to this natural wonder. How much smaller am I compared to the God of Wonders. And yet, when I stand before Him, with my arms flung wide, it's the enormity of his love that showers my upturned face. 
"For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord." -Romans 8:38-39

I will never forget being awakened at 2:00am by the bellowing roars of a restless male lion. I didn't care about the time of day or the amount of sleep I was missing. I knew that I had to hear it again. Wrapped tightly in a blanket, sitting on the balcony of our cabin, I waited. A combination of anticipation and the nip in the air had me shaking when I finally heard it again. The power in a lion's roar became real to me in that moment. Oh, how I longed to hear from this wild lion, this king of the jungle. How much more should I long to hear from the Lion of the Tribe of Judah, the King of kings. The reality of experiencing His voice should drive me to listen with anticipation and long to hear him speak again and again and again. 
"He who has ears to hear, let him hear." -Matthew 11:15

I will never forget the first time I saw the Southern Cross. The utter brilliance of the stars in the southern hemisphere made the light of the stars in the northern hemisphere seem like little more than a distant memory of a dull glow. Basking in the radiance that these stars produced, the rest of the world faded around me. Nothing else mattered, only the brilliance of the light of the sky. Nothing else matters, only the brilliance of the Light of the World. The things of this world grow strangely dim in the light of the One who knows all, sees all, and gave all for us. 
"Again Jesus spoke to them, saying 'I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.'" -John 8:12

God has allowed me to experience His majesty in brand new ways this week. His power and splendor have been displayed all around me. And because of this, God's glory has become real to me. 
"The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims
his handiwork." -Psalm 19:1
  • Please pray for God to continue to allow us to experience Him in new ways.
  • Pray that we will continue to rely on Him alone to sustain us in the busy weeks ahead.
-Becca