Thursday, November 16, 2023

Where are the workers?

One week on the island was very impactful for me. On this unreached island we encountered many who were ready to listen & receive the Word. We shared with those who ere ex-cult members, others who had experienced great tragedies, and with many bound by Catholic theology and tradition. Yet within many of these conversations I saw a glimpse of God’s redemption. 

The national church planter couple we partnered with have only been there since March, but we were able to see so much fruit from their ministry. They are currently focusing on three surrounding barangays or communities. Each barangay has approximately 400 people of more. Although they are investing so much into these three, there are still eleven others in the area. It may be years before there are enough disciples or leaders for these three concentrated communities to be built on a solid foundation for the workers to expand their ministry to the other eleven communities. 

How can it be that there are only two workers among hundreds of unbelievers? This grieves my heart. Where are the workers? The people are ready to hear but who will tell them? 

When we first started into our communities we were only given a house or two to begin Bible studies with. However by the end of the week our scheduled Bible studies filled the whole day. Each household was happy to invite us back the next day, they wanted us to stay for months! There was endless opportunity to share the Good News among the people and children on this island.

As we were on the ferry boat leaving the island there was a rainbow over the island. I was reminded of God’s promises. I was reminded of how God has brought light into this dark world. I was reminded of God’s plan for redemption. I believe God is going to work in mighty ways on this island. I believe strongholds will soon be broken. I believe many of these unreached people will come to know Christ. My hope is in Christ’s power. He has a perfect plan for this island and I want to continue to pray expectantly. Please pray with me!!

-Haley
NT365 Gap Year Participant