Saturday, June 28, 2014

Rewriting My Normal

How does one attempt to explain something that is simply indescribable? That is the problem I am facing as I am attempting to write down just a little piece of what God has revealed to my heart while here in Africa. Though I came on this trip with the mindset that we would be coming to help the nationals here, it is really them who have helped me. God has used their impact on my life to teach me so many things already.

In John, Jesus tell us that He has come so that we may have life and have it to the full. (John 10:10) Africans sure know how to embrace that verse. Everyone is so friendly and full of life & joy. Though they have every reason to get down and be upset as a result of the physical conditions they live in, they choose to embrace life and all its simple beauty. Living as Christ intended for us to and enjoying it on a daily basis. Greeting strangers as family, dancing, clapping, and lifting their hands all to worship the Savior of the world. Children who have been abandoned loving unconditionally, are just some of the norms here that are making me reconsider my idea of a normal life. Choosing to trade a mundane life where highs and lows are defined by circumstances for a life where every moment is cherished, every second is treated as sacred, and every day is seen with all the beauty it was designed to hold.

It isn't like the Africans have a secret formula for a better, more optimistic life; no this life can be lived by anyone whose ultimate hope is in the Lord. They simply look at each new day as a gift from God and embrace the trials, hardships, time of joy, and everyday situations as a blessing from Him.

We were told after introducing ourselves at church on Sunday that we talk so fast and just get in a hurry for everything. I believe that is so true and a source to one of our greatest problems in American. We are always in a hurry! Always rushing to do something we let our busyness and packed schedules come in the way of the enjoyment of life and all its beauty and fulfillment. We have a joke about whether someone we are meeting here is on 'normal time' or 'African time.' 'African time' is usually later than scheduled, but that's just okay here. If you are late, it isn't the end of the world. It just all comes down to priorities. When not missing your favorite TV show takes priority over cultivating and developing your relationships with family and friends or sleeping in is more important than your precious alone time with God, there's a problem.

I'm so glad that God is rewriting my idea of normal.Yes, I will take my lesson from my African brothers and sisters in Christ to heart & start living a life to the fullest; not being blinded by the depressing troubles life brings, but being captivated by the beauty of each moment. Truly embracing Psalm 46:10 and being still knowing He is God. With God's strength and guidance we can all truly embrace the life He so desperately wants each of us to have. 

I ask for the continued prayers for our team unity and that we would given many many opportunities to share the gospel and boldly proclaim His name wherever we go. Most importantly keep the precious people we are loving on in your prayers. May hearts be opened and lives changed through Him.

-Breanna