Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Where We Are ... Ruel Nannies

We officially worked our first full week here at the Ruel Foundation! We all have different shifts - sometimes we work at the orphanage, and sometimes we work at the Malnourished Center (where babies are there because they are malnourished.) The kids can be difficult to handle at times. It's hard to be patient with them, but then they run up and hug us and give us the biggest kisses, laughing with big smiles on their faces, then we remember why we are here and it is all worth it! They all have their unique personalities, and we have gotten to know them better.

We attended a local church this past Sunday. It's amazing to worship with other believers on the other side of the world.  We have never met a group of people so welcoming. We will be trying to get involved with the youth there as well.

On Thursday, the Ruel staff went on a retreat, leaving our team and one other team of 5 in charge. We were all kinda nervous... and scared. The day had its ups and downs, but overall, it went really well and we had so much fun!

Every Thursday, all the staff and volunteers have a devotion. The visiting California team lead the one this past Thursday and they talked about patience. We are excited to lead the one this week!

I know for me (Tonya), I have the worst patience in the world, but I believe that God is working through me on that as well as the other girls on our patience as we are here.  We remember why the kids are here and what some may have gone through, and it helps us to remember why we are here as well. To show love and make them feel wanted.

Something funny - I have never had people ask me what my 'spots' were on my arm. I have never had to explain what freckles were in my life, but it's fun trying to, haha!

Please pray:

  • That we will continue to develop patience with the children.
  • That we will stay healthy so we can do all that we're here to do.
-Katie, Tonya, Tori