Wednesday, June 18, 2014

I wanted dirt roads

Dirt roads.
I wanted dirt roads.
My heart ached for the villages of Southeast Asia I had come to love.


I found myself missing the dirt roads, the squatter villages, the heat of no air-con, the sardine-packing of vans…as I experienced the past two summers.
 

"Even if it means getting lice that last for two months, God. I miss it."
 
The constant covering of dust and dirt and grime, where make-up is not even thought of and showers are an option. 

Here in Chiang Mai I have the option of air-con. I have a hot shower, sometimes…when it works, and dressing somewhat nice is expected when hanging out on the streets at night. 

"God, I just want a dirt road."

But tonight I hung out in a bar, and my heart began to change. Stepping about a mile and a half out of my comfort zone, and with our translators, Aoy and Gee in tow, I approached a prostitute perched upon her bar stool, applying make-up, getting ready for her “customers” of the evening.
 

I talked with her for a moment about her life, and then I asked her if I could tell her a story. And she seemed a bit more excited than I expected as I shared Creation to Christ with her and my own testimony of how God changed my life. And the biggest victory in all of that is that she listened. 
 

She listened.

I looked on her with hope as she slowly stopped searching for customers with her eyes and began to have my full attention with her heart. I felt as if I had just climbed a mountain.

And something within me changed tonight.

do have dirt roads this summer. Even if they aren’t the kind I expected.


The pathway to these women’s hearts and minds, to their lost souls—they are barren, desert lands, covered in dust and dirt and grime. Underneath the caked-on make-up and the scandalous clothing and the perfect hair something is severely wrong. And to get there, I am going to have to walk these dirt roads, see things even uglier than I have these past summers, trip over a few rocks, climb some built-up walls, and not see anything different in their grime, their dirt.

For I was covered in the dirt of sin before I met the Savior. He walked the dirt road that lead to my heart with patience and understanding. And He is walking with me now, holding me by the hand down this new path. Pray it leads to changed hearts and renewed souls.


I don’t miss dirt roads anymore.


Pray for Oh, the woman Gee, Aoy, and I met in the bar that night. Continue to pray for the nannies at the children’s home we have been hanging out with. Pray that by God’s grace I can learn to teach English.

-Ashley