Sunday, July 20, 2014

I want to know what Jesus did!

The past few weeks I decided to sit outside during my quiet time and pray for the people of Nashville, specifically Muslims throughout Ramadan. As I was praying, each day I began to notice a curiosity in two of the young Kurdish girls who I have grown close to. I knew the Lord was stirring in their hearts as questions about prayer, fasting, and Christians in general began to come up more often. 
Underneath a tree outside my apartment, I began to pray. That sweet nine year old girl, we'll call her TJ, wandered up and asked if I would read her my bible. I asked her what she wanted to know and her reply was, Miss Ashley, I just want to know what Jesus did.  

I told her several stories that day about Jesus feeding 5,000, calming the storm, and then I began to tell her about the crucifixion and resurrection. She listened intently to the stories and told me, "In my country, I had never heard of Jesus, but because of you and your friends I am learning!" 
I heard a woman begin calling to TJ and turned to see her mom quickly approaching. I was fully prepared for her mother to be upset with me, but instead I recieved a smile as TJ started to translate for her mother. After a brief conversation, I asked TJ to tell her mom that I love all five of her daughters and her mom looked at me with tear-filled eyes and said,
I love you.

I only have two weeks left and I am aware that TJ may not accept Christ before we leave. However, I have been encouraged by seeing her curiosity and her mother's love. I pray that the seed that was planted would continue to grow so that she may find God and know him personally. I also pray that we as Christians would continue to help TJ and curious people just like her come to know the love that God offers to us all! 

-Ashley