Sunday, July 27, 2014

Leaving

Two months ago, I walked down a strange, dark street for the first time. The people were all just unknown faces, the bars and massage parlors looming and unfamiliar. I heard a foreign tongue calling out to customers, and music blared, adding to the confusion and overstimulation. The evil on the street was felt, overwhelmingly.

This week, I walked down that street again, each pothole and curb familiar now. Every few feet, I would stop at a familiar shop to hug a friend at a massage parlor or chat with someone I had shared with in one of the bars. I passed by disappointed when some of the girls I met were not there, wishing I had been able to see them one last time. The darkness was still there, but somehow, it did not feel as strong.


This summer, much prayer has been poured out on that street and over the people who live there. Friendships were formed, connections were made, but most importantly, the gospel was shared. I think that's why the darkness seemed a little less. Light had come into the darkness. Truth and love had been shared. And try as it might, the darkness cannot overpower it.

Leaving is always painful. We see the lostness, the souls still in need of saving, but we have to leave. We have shared with so many that are close to salvation but who we did not see respond. And we may never know this side of heaven whether or not they accept God's gift of salvation. All we can do is pray and trust they are in the hands of the Father. 


This last week has been a reminder to me that that is really all we can do. We can be obedient to share, but we do not bring anyone to salvation. But The Lord was here long before we were. He was working in hearts and preparing encounters for us to share and to draw people to himself before I ever considered coming to Thailand. Then, He was with us as we walked the streets and shared. He put people in our paths, He helped us to share, and He moved in people's hearts. Best of all, He will not leave Chiang Mai when we do. He will still be here, seeing all the pain, the injustice, the bondage, the sin, and the shame. Hearing every cry and prayer, loving every broken heart and searching soul. Reaching out to all who seek Him, and drawing lost souls to salvation. I leave knowing that the work is not finished but it is in the hands of the One who will bring it to completion. Is it easy? No. But I believe God is still working here, and I look forward to seeing (even in heaven) the ways He used this summer for His glory.
 

Please pray for our team for safe travel home and for us as we personally process all we have seen and heard.
Please continue lifting up the women we have shared with. Their stories are not over yet, thanks be to God!
 

Sawadeekha
-Taylor