Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Wrecked by Grace

Its funny how the Lord can teach us things twice. Sometimes even just more than in a single instance, like in the day to day. The same truths that wrecked my heart and changed my life last summer are wrecking me in a totally new way.

That's how awesome our God is; how He can take a piece of scripture that we've read countless times or a reminder of His unchanging character to captivate our hearts again and again. 

Last summer I taught English in universities and hung out with high school and college students: playing sports, shopping, and doing a lot of eating. It was such a fun summer. Most days, although exhausting, were overall pretty easy. Friendships came naturally and many were very open to the gospel.


The Lord used last summer to teach me so much about His grace. Not just the grace that He has shown me in granting me salvation, but His daily grace. So I starting counting: writing down all the gifts that God graced me with as I went through my day to day life. Gifts like a good cup of coffee, an encouraging conversation, a smile from a stranger, getting to try a new food, or an afternoon rain shower. 

Simple things that God gives us daily to remind us of how great a Father He is. Gifts to show us of His unchanging and never failing love. 
I counted and the Lord amazed me. My eyes became so opened to His goodness and His tender love for His children. I realized how much I took His blessings for granted. I saw the selfishness in my own heart, how I thought that I deserved the things that He has graced me with. 


Counting changed me. It changed my attitude. It changed my outlook on life. It changed my view of God.
 

And last summer it was easy to believe this truth. It was easy to count. It was easy to be thankful. It was easy to see His abundant grace while hanging out with friends and laughing and eating. Counting came naturally and God's grace was evident everywhere.

This summer, however, has been different. Because its been hard to find the joy in the midst of so much pain. Its hard to find encouragement while being surrounded by so much evil. Its hard to smile, as you walk down the streets, passing beautiful girls waiting to be bought. Its hard to be happy when you see girls that you have built relationships with, being led to hotels by Western men. Its hard to act unfazed when you pass ladyboys being treated like objects. Its tough to watch old married men shoot pool with our young girls, not even ashamed enough to take off their wedding ring. 
Read more.....http://lindyemay.blogspot.com/2014/07/wrecked-by-grace.html