Friday, July 6, 2012

A post from Lauren: learning service

"As I was preparing for this trip, I knew exactly what I wanted to do to serve the Lord: love on the children at Ruel. I knew the job would include other things, like cleaning and outreach, but my mind was focused on spending time with the children.


For the first week, however, my shifts at Ruel consisted of helping the cook and hanging up a lot of laundry. My shifts with the children didn't begin until the second week. During that first week, the Lord really showed me that I need to "serve Him with gladness" (Psalm 100:2). Even though I didn't sign up to cook, clean or do laundry, God commands that "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord, not for men" (Colossians 3:23).
God constantly reminds me that this trip isn't about me at all. It is all about bringing Jesus Christ glory and making Him known. I am learning to fully trust in the Lord and to get out of the way so that Christ can become all.


As God teaches me what it means to serve Him, I am learning to be obedient no matter what the cost. Last week we read the parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus during our Bible study, and God convicted me that I can't pick and choose who, when, or where I want to serve. Just as the rich man didn't reach out and help Lazarus, there are many people in my life - neighbors, classmates, or homeless people not far from my home that I often neglect to serve and show them the love of Christ. How can I be willing to go halfway around the world if I'm not willing to serve the people within my own community?


Please pray that as we serve the Lord, we would step out of the way and let Christ be all in us and through us as we live out His perfect plan. To Christ be the glory. I must never forget that I am not just on a mission trip; I am on mission for Christ."