Friday, July 13, 2012

A Conversation about Goals


Me, Amanda, and Kynsleigh with some students at lunch
Recently, I met a guy named "Ah Heng".  He asked me, “Do you believe in Philosophy?” I said, "Well, I took a class in university, but what do you mean? Do YOU believe in it?” 


He responded with, “Yes, I have learned about it, and I have understood that we live as humans to set a goal and achieve it. Then set another one until we are ready for another one.” 


I asked, “So what is your goal for your life?” with a confused look, he said “I don’t know. I don’t have one."  


“Can I share my goal with you?” I eagerly said. “Yes," he said with a smile.  
So then I began to explain to him that my goal in life is to represent God since He is the Lord of my life. Because I have a relationship with Him, one day I will be taken out of this earth to be with Him. No sacrifice could measure up to how great the sacrifice He gave for me. 


The man was astounded at my passion. He asked me, “Why are you so sure that is the right goal for you?” I poured out my heart about many scriptures that confirm God’s love, sacrifice, mercy, and promises of all! 


    I asked him, “So, can I ask you something again, just to clarify?” 
    “Sure,” he said. “What do you want your goal to be for your life?” He said the most hurtful, lonely sounding words I had ever heard in my life, “That I will have God in my heart, and be with Him in Heaven.” I could do nothing other then to shed tears knowing that God was calling on his name saying, “Child, come home! Child, come home!” 


    And He used me to show His love. I shared with Him the way to salvation through scripture. I told him of the simple prayer I said many years ago when I asked God into my heart, and I explained that once you're saved, you are always sealed with the spirit of God that no evil can take away. 
I asked after those moments, "Is this something you would like to do now? It says in the word, 'For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you."' I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.” God is waiting for you to accept Him into your heart and even if you choose to not follow Him today or tomorrow or until next week or many years to come, know that God is awaiting your return to Him. 

(2 Timothy 2:13)

    He said with a gentle smile, “Maybe, I don’t know.” (inside I was screaming AHHHH! Maybe. maybe. maybe. MAYBE!) I had never wanted to not hear that word more than in that moment. 
I wanted him to fall on his knees and call upon the Name of the Lord. I wanted him to confess he believed, but then I was quickly reminded it is not about me. It is about him and God. The seed has been planted. He agreed to meet tomorrow and receive a bible from me.  I pray that he reads the verses I have highlighted for him.  I pray that he will be willing to listen to God speaking truth in his life.

 

   Just like this story, we encounter these questions everyday at the three colleges we focus on, it has been great whether we are in the classrooms teaching about American life and how we live or in the cafeteria (“Kantine”) striking up new conversations about their lives finding some way to connect. 


    Even though we only have less than two weeks, and home seems so close, the duty her is not finished and we can still see the Holy Spirit stirring up new and old hearts in them and us! We can’t leave here thinking we could have done more, so we will do all we can! I pray that in the moments of a heart being softened by the love of God that I don’t get selfish in wanting a heart to be converted so bad that I forget the hearts condition. 


   This is not a game, and it never was. It's not a race to see who can convert the most, but merely a calling that I have graciously been given the honor of choosing to accept. I am a soldier to God’s army, built with the armor of God to sustain His Kingdom. For if I rely on the armor of God, nothing can destroy it. Praise God for His Power…Pray for Ah Heng… and Pray for us!

In love,
Tiffany