Saturday, July 30, 2011

Great Expectations

The director of Gentle Hands made a promise with God when she began her ministry.  She said she would never go looking for children to bring to the orphanage, but if God placed them in her path or if someone called and needed help with a child, she would always do whatever she could.  She would trust God to provide her with whatever skills or money she needed to take proper care of them.  That’s why she didn’t shy away from bringing a boy with cerebral palsy into Gentle Hands.  Maddie majored in special education, so she was assigned to the boy to try to help him accomplish some basic tasks.  The experience has been nerve-wracking but amazing at the same time for her.  It has also taught her about God’s power.

Maddie:  I met this boy on the third or fourth day here at Gentle Hands.  There were certain things he needed to learn how to do or had to perform or he would be institutionalized because of his disability.  I was assigned to him to help him accomplish these tasks.  No pressure, right?  He is a really sweet kid though. I know there is so much he wants to say and do because Cerebral Palsy doesn’t affect his ability to think or reason, he just can’t express or do much.
I have never prayed as earnestly as I have for his progress.  His benchmark tasks include being able to sit up, walk, and talk, which seem physically impossible for him in his current state.  I know a little about C.P., but I have no strategies to rely on to help me instruct him.  I have had to fully rely on the power of God to bring him as far as he has come, and I expect God to continue to work in him so he can stay at Gentle Hands where he is loved.
I have been searching scripture for help in this situation and I keep coming back to the story of Peter walking on water.  What Jesus told Peter to do was physically impossible, but through Jesus’ power, Peter was able to do it.  Only when he started relying on himself did he start to sink.  This boy hasn’t made the leaps and bounds he is supposed to make yet, but he has made a lot of progress.  God has shown me the power of prayer, and I have been bathing this boy in it.  I know that I am not capable of accomplishing what needs to be done, but God and his strength is.  Please pray for this boy... let’s see what God can do!

-Maddie