Monday, July 18, 2011

The Faith of the Abandoned

The first week of class in our orphanage I had the kids write a journal entry in response the the prompt, "What has God done in your life?"  To read many of the responses was moving to say the least. Answers such as, "God rescued me and gave me a new family and lots of brothers and sisters."  The stories of the children here at Love the Children are so breathtaking. Such bittersweetness to hear of their suffering but to see the hand of our gracious Father in protecting them.  One story from Ralph, a 14-year-old boy who had already left an impression on me, really stood our with his depth and wisdom.  Ralph's story started out like this:

"God is really good in my life..." He goes on to tell how God rescued him from a broken family. God brought him here and gave him a new family, he says. In his journal he writes, "God brought me here and I received Jesus into my life... Jesus gives me a new heart and teaches me to love people."  He tells about how though he now has struggles and problems, all is okay because Jesus is with him. He ends his journal by quoting Jeremiah 29:11.

Ralph was a child of parents who separated before he was born. He then was handed off to a grandmother who was unable to afford him, so he was sent to LTC.

The depth of understanding and simple wisdom with which he grasps the love of God leaves such a mark on me. Oh, to live life with that sort of gratitude. To live with the knowledge and reality of Jesus as our rescuer. To live not demanding an understanding or explanation for life's circumstances, but simply to live in love and obedienceto our sweet, sovereign Savior.

Ralph's humble statement about Jesus teaching him to love others really left a impression on me. Because, you see, I observe Ralph with such... appreciation? "Ate" love? Inspiration? The exact word doesn't come to me, but I can describe it this way: I watch Ralph, a leader of the younger children, interact with his group of little ones. Like an older brother, their "kuya." Indeed, he plays gently, rebukes sternly, and always, ALWAYS, greets me with a beeming smile and, "Hi, Ate Julie."  He works every day making peanut brittle, carries with him a maturity surpassing that of any 14-year-old I know. He is all but typical.  

I have felt since I met him that the Lord indeed has something special planned for Ralph. I feel sure that with the serious reverence and love for the Lord that Ralph already posseses, he will see the words of Jeremiah 29:11 come forth in his life.

Oh, and I did not mention what an incredible singer he is! I look forward to hearing that voice everyday.  To look at Ralph and know his story is a privilege I did not want to keep to myself. Like all the children here,their stories should be told, and their humble devotion to God a challenge to us all.

Praise the Lord for being our rescuer. He rescued these children from lives on the street, being left as loan payments, and attempted murders at the hands of their parents, and he has rescued us all from a life of sin and separation from him. Indeed, He is worthy.

-Julie