Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Pursuit of Boldness and the Practice of Discipleship

We spotted a couple of women and children sitting outside their squatter homes, eating the soup we brought to the village. We walked over and began to chat, mixing in what little Tagalog we know with their giggles at our efforts and their pretty good English.

“Do you go to church?”
“Yes! Every Sunday.”-they said.
“Do you believe in Jesus?”“OF COURSE!”-their response.

I smiled in reply, but on the inside, I was screaming: But do you know Him? Do you have a personal relationship with Him? Do you wake up every day craving His Word, desiring more than anything to know Him more intimately and be more like Him?

These questions burned deep within my soul, but my tongue remained paralyzed. Why am I this way? I fear rejection. I fear failure. I fear anger. I doubt their ability to understand and change. Why? Don’t I realize it is not up to me to save them? All that is required of me is faith, prayer, and availability. Am I not just willing to open my mouth and allow the Spirit to speak? I am just a vessel. Oh, how I disgust myself!
“After the reading from the Law and the Prophets, the leaders of the synagogue sent word to them, saying, “Brothers, if you have a word of encouragement for the people, please speak.” (Acts 13:15)

Oh that I would see those I come in contact with in this way: people seeking for words of hope and encouragement. May I recognize the power of Christ dwelling within me and not withhold the Good News from the lost just because I am afraid...this is the cry of my heart.


-Heather