Friday, July 22, 2011

School Dances Are WAY Better Here!


After establishing strong relationships in their current village and embracing much of the villager’s culture, the team had apparently earned the right to be invited to a party one night after dinner.  The invitation was extended to Ray and Donnatello by some of the men they had been working with that day, so the girls and I assumed that we were not invited.  Ray and Nikki, the team translators, quickly corrected us and said we were all invited.

It was late (for us at least) when the party started, so we were tired and seriously considered just going to bed.  As we laid out our bedding, we started talking about possibly going.  We thought, “….well, maybe we should.” or “How much will we regret this if we don’t?” and “This is a perfect way to build more relationships!” After five minutes or so of discussion our shoes and headlamp were on, and we were making our way to the elementary school of the town.

The school had inducted new officers earlier in the day, and their was a community-wide celebration.  And we mean COMMUNITY-WIDE.  The road to the school had people all around it, and as we were lead into the actual campus of the school, we saw a massive dance area with lights.  We were instantly welcomed and taken by the children to meet teachers and the principal.

After meeting them, we were all quickly invited to dance.  I stood on the sidelines to take pictures while the team, to my surprise, jumped right out to dance with the kids.  As I looked through my lens I quickly saw that this party was so much different than the school parties I have been to.  Teachers, parents, and students covered the dance floor, ALL having an amazing time – not just students.  I was able to take pictures uninterrupted for the first few shots.  As soon as I put the flash on and I took the next picture, I was swarmed with children.  It will never stop surprising me how much Filipino children love to have their picture taken.
I swear...a camera is a kid magnet!
Chelsea:  The party was an amazing experience.  With all of the different ages coming together and enjoying themselves, it felt kind of like I was in a scene from a movie.
Michelle:  I felt like a celebrity – everyone wanted a picture with us.  I didn’t know the party was going to be that big of a deal.  I had imagined my school parties, but they were nothing like this.  It was such a fun way to build relationships.
Donnatello:  The people were so friendly to us from the moment we got there.  On older lady danced with me, but she didn’t dance like she was old!  I was thinking, “Wow, Grandma can move!”  I was great to see the whole community come together and dance.  This was my first time to get to dance since we got here.
Macey:  I felt so welcome, but that we stood out so much.  I felt three feet taller than everyone there!  They loved it when the Americans danced though.  I don’t think they expected us to.
Hopefully, by going to the party, we confirmed our concern and willingness to participate to the people.  After seeing us go the extra mile to reach out to them, maybe more youth age people and men will be more willing to come to the bible studies.  We hope that the Spirit will continue to move in that village.