Sunday, July 10, 2011

My Sudanese Summer: Happy Birthday.... times 2!

July 7th, I turned 22. (Happy Birthday by the way Jordan, miss and love you.) But here time didn’t stand still, (and why would it? Most people do not know the year they were born because of the war.) No cake, no party, and no fireworks (Thank God.) Which I’m all for, birthdays are usually filled with all kinds of awkwardness, but this one is one I will always remember. 


We set out on our village ministry and at the first house we shared the gospel. To which the woman responded,  "Let me ask my husband if I can repent."  I explained how the gospel was clear that only you could make that decision and how Jesus desires a personal relationship with us. She then said she wanted to accept Jesus as her Savior. We then explained to her how she needed to be discipled to grow in her faith and left it in the hands of the pastor in the area. 


Little was said later that evening about the conversion, but we all expressed great gratitude that she came to the Lord. If we wouldn’t have had a confession of all faith, God would have still be just and we would trust his will. But I cannot help but savor the gifts God allows us to be a part of when we follow him. To think God uses worms and sinners like us to make him known, how can we not smile as heaven celebrates for the one who comes home. What a beautiful and creative God who invites us on a journey so much bigger than ourselves and I can’t help but notice the scenery he provides us in our lives as we journey with him.