Thursday, July 7, 2011

Restored from brokenness

Isaiah 61:1-2 "The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners. to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn."

That is why I am here. You don't go on a mission trip as a vacation.You don't go on a mission trip to for an adventure. You don't go on a mission trip to be comfortable. You don't go on a mission trip to be pampered. You don't go on a mission trip for selfish reasons. You don't go on a mission trip to still be mommy and daddy's baby or your "significant others" for that matter. You don't go on a mission trip for a shopping spree.

Matthew 8:18-22 talks about how you have to give up everything to follow Jesus. That might mean being away from family, comfort, and life's luxuries.   To many, the "American Dream" sounds much too dreamy. To me though it's simple. In Luke 9:59 Jesus says, "Follow me."
Is that hard to do? Well yeah- but think about what Jesus has done for us. He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities, he was MURDERED for OUR sin. I think the least I can do is share His love with others. I can preach good news to the poor. I can bind up the brokenhearted. I can proclaim freedom to the captives. I can release prisoners from darkness. I can comfort those who mourn. What can you do?

-Jenny