Monday, July 11, 2011

Praise God!

    I want to tell you about a group of guys who have decided to follow Jesus. Two and a half weeks ago, our group went up to a village called Capilla and shared our testimonies of the good news of the gospel. 13 guys decided that Jesus was enough for them and gave their lives to Him. I prayed hard for that group as we continued to meet with them a couple times a week.
     We came to the point of talking about baptism. I showed them passages from the Bible about baptism and challenged them to take a step of faith in baptism if they were serious about the relationship with Jesus that they had started. I also told them to go home and tell their families about the decision that they had made. I did not know what to expect! Little did I know, God was working in the hearts of those guys and all said they were ready to follow Jesus’ example in baptism. Praise God for their decision to follow Jesus with their lives and in baptism!
     I went back yesterday to talk about the suffering that Jesus went thru before he died on the cross and the persecution he endured. I then showed them a passage in John 15 when Jesus said,  "If the world hates you, remember it hated me first." This was the challenge of the night: That no matter what happens or what persecution comes because of their decision to follow Christ, to remain faithful to their new faith and life in Christ.
     They all told me that they were ready to serve God and follow Jesus! After two weeks, they have decided this ON THEIR OWN! Wow. Today was just the icing on the cake as we celebrated in baptism with eight of the guys (5 of them were caring for a brother with leukemia).
    It brought a tear to my eye when each of them proclaimed to everyone that Jesus was their personal Savior or Lord. God is at work in Cebu, and is ready to do the same in so many others. Please pray for this group of guys as they start their growth in Christ and reading His Word. Most importantly, praise Him for new life and people willing to say, “I am ready to serve God!” Amen and thank you for the prayers! We love you all!

-Phil


Capilla Baptisms