Friday, June 29, 2012

New Faith Family

 An Alabamian’s perspective on life in Malaybalay, Bukidnon

 The Philippines is absolutely nothing like what I pictured a typical Asian country would be like. There are a lot of cultural differences here that I did not anticipate. For instance, the pace of life is much slower and lower key than my life in America. Also, when I changed my money at the airport in Manila, I quickly realized that since I’m awful at math, counting pesos is going to be a challenge for me. Dinnertime is not a problem for me. Our cook is great, and I have fully embraced Filipino culture by eating with my hands (My mother would love it…not)! 
     There are twenty-five children living here at the home, each with their own unique personality. The name, New Faith Family Children's Home given to the home suits this place because it truly is a family, and it is the only one that some of these children have ever known. Many of the house parents are still in their twenties, and I greatly admire them for it because this is a full time job! I have already become “Ate” (big sister) Katie to the children here, and my heart melts every time I hear it. 
    My team and I spend our time here loving on the kids and finding ways to lend a hand however we can, whether it’s scraping paint off a wall, painting, or washing dishes. There is no such thing as a typical day here! We are learning to roll with the punches and be faithful to the Lord even in the small things.  
      Please pray for the children, that they would come to know Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior, which is the ultimate goal of this ministry. Many of these kids already understand what it means to follow Jesus. It is so convicting to see how many Bible verses they know by memory! 
     The Lord is already teaching me so much about what it means to love like Jesus loves through these beautiful children. They have stolen my heart, and I fully believe that God has a wonderful plan for each of their precious lives.
Love in Christ,
Katie