Thursday, June 21, 2012

Respuesta a la Oracion: An Answer to Prayer


This morning, in our devotion with Pastor Kim, I prayed that God would give us opportunities to share the gospel even in our everyday activities like feeding the homeless and Kids Club.  

Today, Jordan and I went out to feed the homeless with Pastor Charlie, a family of four, and our Spanish friend Lisa.  Usually after our first stop, we just walk past the park.  However, Lisa saw one of our homeless friends, Orlando, sitting on a bench, and went to go talk to him.  Jordan and I followed behind with a lunch and water bottle.  When we arrived, I could tell from the little Spanish I know that Lisa was sharing the Gospel with Orlando.

Sure enough, in a few minutes, Lisa called Pastor Charlie over saying, “This man wants to accept Jesus,” and asking Pastor Charlie to pray with him.

Pastor Charlie prayed in English, Lisa translated in Spanish, and Orlando, in a whisper, repeated the words.  Lisa had talked so much, but Orlando had been very quiet and I wondered if he was sincere about wanting to turn from his sin and become a Christian.

But as they finished praying, Orlando began to break down and cry.  Jordan and I were touched; we knew that the Holy Spirit was really working in Orlando’s life.

The Pastor and Lisa spoke to Orlando some more, encouraging him to come to church, then we gave him the lunch.  As we left and said, “Dios te bendiga, mi hermano” (God bless you, my brother), Orlando smiled a huge grin.

-Kelly