Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Post from Makenzie

In 1 Kings 19, Elijah is running from Jezebel, who is furious because the prophets of Baal had been slaughtered. In the depths of his discouragement, Elijah is comforted by the Lord through an angel. Elijah is then led to a mountain, and commanded to "go out and stand on (it) before the Lord." 


"And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire the sound of a low whisper." 


Just like God comforted Elijah, God has given me comfort as well. In a place where people always stare at me, where I do not know the language, and where my feet never get clean, God soothes me. In a place where everything is foreign, God shows me familiarity through the studying of His Word. In the midst of inconveniences,  God has humbled me through His refreshingly loving Spirit. And in the presence of pain, God continues to excite me with His beautiful presence. As a Christian, I must listen for God's low whisper.


"For God alone my soul waits in silence; from Him comes my salvation. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken." Psalm 62:1-2