Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Brokenness

A huge prayer of mine for this summer is brokenness. God has been answering this prayer in many ways, one specifically being through the feedings. I went on two feedings and was really saddened over the poverty I saw, but it wasn't until the third time I went that my heart truly broke. 

In this particular squatter village, the Lord opened up a door for me to talk with a woman living there. The conversation started off very casual but quickly became very personal. She began to weep and tell me how hard it is to live in the squatter village. That is when I saw past the fake smiles and "I am fine. How are you?" facade. These people are hurting. But what hit me the most was this - maybe these people won't ever leave the slums. Maybe they will never be healthy. Maybe their physical hunger will never be satisfied. But no matter what, they can have hope, peace, and joy in Christ. His love and faithfulness never fails. He died for them and longs for them to believe and to find satisfaction in Him! 

So this is my new prayer, that God will etch the picture of poverty, hunger, and illness into my mind forever, so that I may be completely broken-hearted for the injustice of this world-but also so that I may rejoice as Christ being spread to the nations will bring beauty from the broken.

-Heather