Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Sudanese Summer: Compass

"It's not the chase that I love, it's me following you."
 
The lyrics of this song have been stuck in my head all week. I think in part because it reminds me of riding down the road in Matthew's Honda singing the lyrics at the top of our lungs with him, Hope, and Jared. Or maybe it's the fact that all that's played on the radio here is Bob Marley and BBC news. 

But I think this week in particular it helps remind me how much of a journey it really is following God. This week was unique although we didn't necessarily see the excitement we saw last week with the witchdoctors and everything.  We had a solid week of ministry in the village. Once again we went with the intent of teaching church leaders, but once again they managed to not show up. So we decided that continuing are creative ministries with ultimate Frisbee, one on one disciplining, and village stories would be the best bet. I feel that within our team we each have skills unique to ourselves that make our ministry a true team effort. I truly do thank God every night for the team he has blessed me to be apart of, I feel like if we were missing one member we would be an incomplete body. Learning from each other, learning from ourselves how to be more effective in our ministries and that is at times frustrating, but nothing hard is ever easy. 

This week was sad to play our last game of ultimate frisbee with our kids in the village. When we first started it was like watching an animal die, watching the kids play. Now honestly several are better than us. It was great to see how far they had came, and great to know that every series played they heard the word of God. We presented them a Frisbee of their own, allowed them to sign ours and bid them farewell. I said last, because it looks to be my last week in Dinkaland for a while.

Like I said a few blogs ago, due to unforeseen circumstances, we were not allowed into the cattle camps and now consequently not even a lot of parts of the village, neutralizing our ministry. As I am sad to part from familiar faces of the the area I have grown close to over the last two years, I can't help but remember the adventure it has been getting here and now ponder on the road ahead. I'm excited while yet clueless, so I ask for you to pray for this... a compass. Not a physical one, because we have a good idea where we are going, Kajo Kaji is the name of the city, about ten minutes from Uganda, but still in the glorious south. But, our spiritual compass. As we journey to this place I can't emphasize the need for the Holy Spirit in our ministry, without Him we are simply wasting our times. As we are anxious, nervous, confused, and excited it will be easy to be knocked off our course, but we have a task that we can't afford to miss. We have been told their is a great opportunity to reach the unreached there and we will soon take the long dusty ride there. God has taken us far to get here, and I simply can't wait to see where this journey leads.

"However, as it is written, What no eye has seen,  what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived, the things God has prepared for those who love him—these are the things God has revealed to us by his Spirit." -1 Corinthians 2:9-10