Thursday, June 23, 2011

Nothing is Mine



            Generosity has been something I have experienced countless times throughout by lifetime. Although many Americans are extremely generous and hospitable, every person should visit a Southeast Asian family at some point in their life. My roommates and I visited a wonderful Burmese family last week. Seriously, they are absolutely amazing! We came in the house and, of course, left our shoes at the door. Unlike a typical American household, we sat on the floor on a huge mat and our host family sat on the side. Spread across the table was grapes, bananas, apples, bottled waters, and large bowls of curry flavored noodles with veggies. Southeast Asians considered it very good to be a little least a little chubby, so the family kept encouraging us to “eat more, eat more!” What food we did not eat they sent back with us. 

            This family has lived in America for only a short time and has struggled to survive ever since. In spite of their hard times, they are willing to share all they have without hesitation. Such a lesson to learn! I have so much, and yet I am still so selfish. Through our new friendship with this family, I have been reminded that nothing I have belongs to me. God has allowed me to hold all I have only to shake it.

by Amanda