Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Fill Us Up and Send Us Out




Inside the walls of the church building we met, prayed, and meditated on how we can bring glory to God. As we, the church, walked outside the building, we found ourselves surrounded by over 100 East African refugee children arrayed in distinctive richly colored garb. The kids quickly latched onto us, grabbing our hands, playing with the girls’ hair, playing soccer, asking for piggyback rides, and captivating us with their smiles. We played games with them, joined them as they watched skits, and ate with them. They won our hearts.

Months ago in my dorm room I read about this same people group on operationworld.org, an invaluable resource in helping know how to pray for the nations. I was sobered as I prayed for this country where 0% of the people follow Christ, and I prayed that somehow God would reveal Himself to these people whose government would never willingly allow believers to enter. I learned about a particular people group in the country that had been enslaved and treated very harshly by their own countrymen, and I wept for them. Little did I know that many of these very people lived within a day’s drive of my home.

Suddenly all the barriers I had heard about and prayed against were torn down; I needed only to walk outside the church building to hold hands with people I never dreamed I could reach.

One little child was upset because he hadn’t won a game, so the boy who did win the game gave him his prize. This small act of love so clearly symbolized what we pray will happen throughout this people group—that we would be able to give the ultimate prize to those we encounter here so that they may share it with those who have not yet received it back in their home country.

May we pray and trust that God will break down barriers that keep people from hearing of His love. May we never let the walls of our church buildings keep us from hearing the cry of the lost nations just outside. The kingdom is in our midst.

By Marianna