Friday, June 17, 2011

It's Amazing What a Ball Can Do!


Tyler – Luzon Media

Waking up on the first morning at Open Door, Derek and I were unsure of how we would bond with the children.  They know some English, but mostly speak Tagalog.  Our Tagalog is pathetic.  What do we do?
            We were happily told good morning by the children with “Magandang umaga, Kuya Derek.” or “Kuya Tyler.”  (kuya is a respectful term meaning older brother.)  They followed us to our luggage room where they waited intently for us outside the door.  Derek thought sports might be a good ice-breaker to bond with the children.  Well the ice didn’t break – it shattered!
            The boys’ eyes were the size of saucers as Derek and I pumped up a basketball, and they raced downstairs to the basketball court/play area for a game.  The bonding began with a ball and has developed into something beautiful.  It is a story best told through Derek’s perspective though. 
Derek:  Basketball has been my link to the Filipino children since I got here.  I had no idea how much they liked it.  They often ask who my favorite team is, or who my favorite player is.  They call me Dirk Nowitzski,  only because I’m white – no resemblance. I mean they call Tyler,  John Cena, clearly no resemblance there.  Anyway, I played with them for hours that first day.  They NEVER get tired.  It is now an everyday thing.  Even during school if they see me, they will scream, “Dirk Nowitzski!  We play basketball today?”  They are so happy to play that I can’t tell them no.
Two boys saw "Dirk" through the window during class
The news of my playing has spread to the youth boys too. On Sunday night, the youth from Open Door, as well as the youth boys from another church, played basketball with some locals as a fellowship and ministry time.  They said I was the first Kuya to come to Open Door that liked to play basketball.
Derek playing with local youth and men on Sunday night

Chucky from open Door's church shooting on Sunday night

Romer from Open Door Shoot on Sunday night
One of the boys, Clark, is a beast at basketball.  He is so little, but so good!  He’s fast, like a little ninja!  Every time he asks me to play, I say yes of course, and he runs to me, grabs on to my waist and says, “My team! My team!”  His little smile melts my heart. 
Clark - King of the Court

Clark dominating Tyler
Derek "Dirk" showing the kids how it's done


Ate (big sister) Victoria joining in on the fun