Friday, June 17, 2011

 

   Yesterday was the first day of school for our children here at the orphanage. Because of the cost of the uniforms and school supplies the orphanage is now homeschooling. A school is going to be built adjacent to the compound at the end of this month and hopefully be completed in August.

   We began with an hour of English. I reviewed basic phonetics and the sounds the English letters make. Then I had each child write down some facts about themselves. Many want to be doctors and scientists. The second hour was math- some of them loved it and some of them hated it. I split them into small groups to practice with the addition, subtraction, and multiplication flash-cards we brought with us.

   Today in school I created scenarios of going on a picnic and going to the beach to show the children how math applies in everyday life. It was so fun! Everyone made up how much things would cost and how much money everyone had with them. (Two millionaires, and one that only had 5 sentimos!)

   These children are very smart and eager to learn. Education is a privilege to them and I must say I feel incredibly blessed to be able to be teaching them! It could be intimidating to teach them with the language barrier that is between us, but I have seen God's hand in it all. He has made me patient when I wanted to scream. Creative when I had run out of ideas. And energetic when my mind was screaming for nap time.

   As I stop to think of being here, not a full week yet, I am overwhelmed by the grace of God. May He get all the glory for bringing us here and living powerfully in us!

Please pray for...
The school building for the children.
Continued finances for supplies.
Energy for the team! (Morning starts at 4:45!)
Unity among everyone.
And for the health of each of the team members.

Thank you for your prayers!