Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Not by Bread Alone

Imagination and reality are usually very different from each other.  This fact doesn’t just apply to reality and fantasy.  When I knew I would be coming to the Philippines, I knew I would see heartbreaking things and extreme poverty.  I imagined small shacks, right next to one another, filled with hungry Filipino people in destitute conditions.  Well my imagination was poor preparation for what I would see as we went to feeding programs with the New Faith Family team. 
We carried huge tubs of a chicken, rice, and vegetable soup-like mixture to the squatter areas right next to the children’s home.  Seeing some of the children race up to meet us with sores on their body, little to no teeth, tattered or no clothing, and carrying whatever they could find that could hold food (gas jugs with the top cut off, cracked cups, etc,) simply shocked me.  In my imagination I saw desperate hungry faces, but I didn’t think about the most basic things I take for granted: clothing, general health, even dishes. 
People with medical backgrounds who go to the feedings help the sick

I wasn’t prepared for the filth I would see either.  We had to keep and eye out for what we would step in and where we would sit.  Some of the people wore stained and tattered clothes and dirt covered their hands and feet.  It wasn’t because of ignorance or by choice that they live like this.  The level of poverty in areas like that is astounding.  Better conditions are simply not available to them.  And one of the saddest things about the whole situation is that they are not unaware that a better life is not unattainable for others.  In the horizon you can see the skyscrapers of metro Manila.  They know there is another side to life, and they can see it in the distance, but they feel they could never obtain it.  While being in orphanages this summer has opened my eyes to how grateful I should be, seeing the children outside the protective gates of the children’s home took my gratitude a step further.  Those in the squatter areas who are believers have powerful faith too because they know what it is like to depend on God to provide the most basic of things.
They can see the unobtainable in the distance
The kids were very friendly and grateful for us coming.  Each of the team members seemed to have found their niche as we served in the feedings.  Shelby went straight for the children and was playing hopscotch within minutes. 

Heather saw the hurt in a woman who brought her child to the feeding, and she comforted her and prayed with her. 

Kaitlyn floated between serving food and meeting the people.

Jenny, the Nanny Team Supervisor, sat with a group of kids and fellowshiped with them.

I hid behind my camera at first, but I haven’t met a Filipino yet who doesn’t like getting his picture taken, so the camera is a good icebreaker – especially with kids.