|Amanda, Jordan, Noel, MaryKate, Jennifer, & Lauren|
Sawada Ka! We are a team of six girls teaching English in Bangkok, Thailand this summer. Here is a short summary of each of us below!
1. Jennifer grew up in Texas and is currently studying English at the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor. She aspires to teach English as a second language, help translate Scripture into unwritten languages, and work with those who are considered outcasts in society. The Scripture which encourages her most in this season of life is Isaiah 43:1, “Now this is what the Lord says- The one who created you, Jacob, and the one who formed you, Israel- Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name; you are mine.”
2. Amanda grew up in Arkansas and is currently studying political science and pre-law at Lyon College. She aspires to go to law school and work for the FBI. The Scripture that speaks to her most is Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
3. Lauren (team leader) grew up in Mississippi and just graduated from Mississippi College with a degree in languages. She plans on attending seminary before moving abroad as a career missionary. A verse that has been really encouraging her lately is Philippians 3:12, “Not that I have already reached the goal or am already fully mature, but I make every effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus.”
4. Jordan is from South Carolina and currently studies in Wake Forest, North Carolina. She loves working with children and youth. In this season of life, Jordan has been learning a lot from 1 John 4:16-19, “And we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and the one who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him. In this, love is perfected with us so that we may have confidence in the day of judgement, for we are as He is in this world. There is no fear in love; instead perfect love drives out fear, because fear involves punishment. So the one who fears has not reached perfection in love. We love because He first loved us.”
5. MaryKate is from Arkansas and is studying English Education at Arkansas State University. She plans to teach English as a Second Language in a big city one day. A verse that has been encouraging to her recently is 2 Corinthians 12:15 “I will most gladly spend and be spent for the sake of your souls. If I love you more, am I to be loved less?”
6. Noel is from the great state of South Carolina. She is currently a student at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in North Carolina. When she grows up, Noel desires to be a disciple maker. Recently, she has been thoroughly encouraged by Luke 18:26-27, which reads, “Those who heard it said, ‘Then who can be saved?’ But He said, ‘What is impossible with man is possible with God.’”
Please pray for the following:
- For our Thai students to recognize that what we are teaching them are not simply good stories but life-changing truths. This is only possible through the work of the Spirit.
- For the Thai people to recognize the futility of their idolatry. Pray they will realize that only Jesus can satisfy.