Friday, June 30, 2017

What's in a name?

David, Colt & Chris
Names.
You never can force an nickname.
It just doesn't work.

Doc Holiday
I thought this was an appropriate nickname for Colt. I still stand by that. But it didn't stick. 
When referencing a time in his life when he lived in the Western side of Texas, he will conjoin the West and Texas into "westexas." Chris and I took notice. We have now parodied that phrase so much that now it sounds something along the lines of "Worcestershire." So you can now call Colt "Westexas" (pronounced Wesh-teksh-ish)

Laughtrack
I thought it was a good name for Chris. But alas, you cannot predict the fickle way of nicknames. We met a 'stralian man by the name of Nathaniel, who, not only made it difficult to not speak like an Aussie, he made it difficult to not repeat everything back at him in a terrible Aussie accent that he no doubt thought was offensive at some points. Nathaniel met Chris. Nathaniel found out that Chris had packed a lifetime supply of protein powder for this trip. I'm serious. He might as well have checked a separate bag for his protein powder. Nathaniel thought this was hilarious. After hearing an Aussie man yell "Powda" for 3 days, we couldn't help but follow suit. 

Ace
The nickname I could only dream of. Given to me one day while throwing a frisbee on the soccer field; lanky arms and legs flailing about, making weird sounds, and generally being a sight, the team decided I had a lot in common with Ace Ventura. I'm not complaining. I love the nickname. We'll see if it sticks, won't we. 

Thank you for your prayers. This is a small update on team dynamics. We haven't had much time to write. But we will be posting more blogs within the next few days to give you an idea of how to pray for us, our long term partners, and the country. 

-David
Sports Engagement