Sunday, July 14, 2013

Blessed to Serve

As our students have finished school for the semester our daily roles will begin to look very different for the remainder of the summer.  This change has caused me to reflect on the summer so far as well as to look forward to the tasks ahead.  One thing that I have realized is that I have been incredibly blessed by serving the students at HDS.  They have helped to enjoy God’s creation and the simple things of life.  Also, their culture models generosity beyond what I have experienced anywhere else.  The students are eager to bring me ice cream, paint my nails, and give me their extra headphone to share their music with me. This has been both convicting and inspirational for me as I try to return the love they have shown to me. 

The students have also taught me how to build friendships without words.  Because of the language barrier, I have not been able to communicate with many of the students. However, this has not stopped our friendships from forming. I have enjoyed bonding with the girls by giving each other facials, watching Korean dramas, listening to music together.  We have also had fun times playing badminton, walking in the park, and eating spicy pigs feet and other “unique” foods together!  I am very thankful to have been able to share in these moments with the girls that I am becoming more attached to each day.  

This summer has also taught me more about living a missional life style all of the time.  While we are in a foreign country, South Korea is a western culture that is similar to the US in many ways.  Also when I return from serving at this school, I will begin teaching at a high school in the states.  I know that the students I will have in the states need Jesus just as much as the students here. While I am excited for the remainder of our time in Korea, I am also excited to return home and begin investing in my students there as well.
 

-Nikki