Monday, July 22, 2013

What a week!

The past week has definitely been an adventurous week! 

On Monday night the team went to the night market and ate Balot (incubated duck egg), chicken intestines, and cow's blood (GROSS)! 

Thursday night we had a rat in our apartment. I'm very thankful for Erin and Savannah who where brave enough to chase the rat out of the apartment! 

Saturday, we went to the falls and swam in the spring water from a mountain, which was really cold, and then hiked to a village. To get to the village, I had to face one of my biggest fears and walk across a swinging bridge. The village broke my heart! After we has a good day of swimming we decided to walk to the main road and get a ride back to town. The walk took 2 1/2 hours and we walked 9.5 kilometers (which is about 6 miles)! Can I just say that I was sore the next day! 

Today (Monday), Erin and I made gumbo for the staff while Katlin and Savannah made no bake cookies for the kids afternoon snack. It was fun to be in the kitchen and introducing new things to the staff and kids!

Here is a BIG PRAYER REQUEST: We are starting our last week of work tomorrow, and we need prayer as we start to say good-bye to the kids and staff. I cannot believe that it is the end of the summer! I have truly enjoyed this summer. God has taught me more that I ever expected. The Kayleigh that left at the beginning of the summer is not the same Kayleigh that will be coming home next week! My prayer is that when I return home I don't return to my normal routine, but I keep God the center of my life. Leaning on God is the only way to live! This summer I have learned to solely lean on God... not to rely on technology and the world to help me.
It is going to be extremely hard to say good-bye to the friends we have made while we have been here.  But the hardest part will be telling the kids bye. A piece of my heart will be left here!

Kayleigh