Monday, July 15, 2013

The Parable of the Biker

The Lord has an interesting way of teaching us lessons in ways that we never expected. Since the beginning of the summer, I have been eaten up every night by mosquitoes and bugs of all kinds. So a few days ago, I got absolutely fed up and decided to find some mosquito nets. I was told that our missionary had some at her house...unfortunately, though, my dorm is in an entirely different city.

But I couldn't stand it, so I set out for the compound on my bike. The way there was relatively smooth. There are lots of hills, but I was generally on the good side of them. Things were looking up! I was going to be bug free tonight!

An hour later, I finally arrived! I waltzed into the office expecting to be handed some bug nets and be on my way... That is not what happened. It turned out they didn't have even ONE mosquito net. Not one. Great. Why had I gone ALL that way for nothing? I tried to have a positive attitude, but I was really mad. I ended up settling for borrowing a sheet. Maybe I could cocoon myself in it for protection.

I started my ridiculously long hall back to my dorm. About three minutes into the ride, I ran into Rachel, who was also riding her bike. She asked if I got my bug nets, and I promptly told her the compound didn't have any. She said her house mom had two extra ones, but it was another twenty minutes of biking out of my way.

I didn't have any desire to bike anymore, but I just prayed and told the Lord that He was going to have to get me back to my dorm...and off we went. Rachel's house mom gave me two mosquito nets, and they gave me a headlamp...it was getting dark.

My ride home was not nearly as smooth as my ride there. First of all, it got dark...fast. I had the headlamp, but that just seemed to attract every bug in Thailand to swarm in front of my face. People kept stopping and talking to me in Thai, to which I could not reply even one word. And to top it off, the hills were so much steeper than they had been going the opposite direction.

Eventually, however, I did make it home. I was practically dead on my feet, and bugs were sticking to my sweaty face, but I was home! After I took a shower, I got my Bible out and turned to Matthew. I have been studying this book since the beginning of the month, and on this particular night I was reading all the parables of Jesus.

As I read, the Lord spoke to my heart and I realized that bike ride was a parable of my summer. I was so excited to come to Thailand. I went into the trip thinking I knew what I was getting myself into, and the beginning of the summer was relatively easy, just like the bike ride to the compound wasn't difficult.

Then problems started coming up left and right. We had many English camps, and I had more classes at my school than I could handle. I'm not good in front of crowds, so all the teaching proved to be very difficult. It was also hard to be so far away from the rest of my team. I was really struggling, and it was only half way through the summer. I realized I still had so much more to go. I knew I had to start depending on God or there was no way I was going to make it the rest of the way...just like it was with the bike ride. I gave everything to Him, and as things got harder, my prayers got louder. With every hill I peddled up, I literally cried out for his his help. And that is exactly what He did.

As I crested the last hill, my house was in view and it was all downhill from there! Likewise, I am at the point in my summer where He is showing me how my hard work has paid off. I've been able to share the gospel and build wonderful relationships with my students and teachers. God is showing me that He didn't bring me here for no reason. He wanted to use me for His plan, and the work we do for Christ is never overlooked.

The fact that I got home and I had the strength to put up my bug nets and sleep without getting bitten, showed me that I will (with God) get through the summer.  I will be able to take home with me all the work I did for Him and the relationships I built, and these experiences will make me a better person. Everything I have been through has made me walk closer to God and I will go home having a better relationship with Him through all the trials I've faced here.

I ended my night by reading the end of Matthew: "Go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit and teaching them to obey everything I've commanded you. And surely I am with you always to the very end of the age."

~Kels