Tuesday, July 11, 2017

It's Worth It

I first tried to write about how incredible this summer has been thus far, but I quickly had to delete my words because words cannot even begin to describe what we have experienced. God has shown Himself in so many ways. He has helped us to serve those that desperately need basic things such as food and clothing. Most importantly, He has allowed us to love the most beautiful people that I have ever met. As I spend time with these incredible people, they capture my heart. But there was one day where I found myself standing in a village, covered in dust, and surrounded by loving and laughing children. In that moment I realized that these people, whom I have grown so fond of, have completely stolen my heart. My journal entry from this day writes: 

Day 23
I am covered head to toe in dust and my heart is fuller than it has ever been... We ended up sitting with the children while listening to the lesson that R was teaching. We plopped down in the dirt right along with the kids. When I sat down, almost all of the kids cautiously got as close to me as possible. They would just look at me and smile. Most of the kids didn't know and English. But if all I did today was love on them and tell them "UJesu Ugutando" (Jesus loves you)... it's worth it. 
Soon after saying UJesus Ugutando over and over, the more shy kids started coming closer and closer. One little boy started off at a distance but soon was sitting as close to me as possible. He couldn't have been older than 4. His need to be loved was so evident. He laid his head on my legs and held my hand up close to his face. No doubt part of it was because he was amazed by my very white skin, but the other part, I just knew, was because he wanted to feel the love and comfort that I was giving to every child that I could. 

If I could just love those kids the way Christ loves me... they deserve that love just as much as I do. My prayer is that they will one day come to know the God who created them and who loves them unconditionally. 


-Katie