Thursday, June 6, 2013

Mexico Trailblazers: Meet the Team

Eleven students from seven different states from the US are travelling to Oaxaca, Mexico this summer for a two-month long mission trip.

The team aims to build relationships in local villages in order to bring the gospel to the people, start Bible studies and hopefully start healthy churches.

The people of Oaxaca are nominally Catholic but also practice animism (a worldview that emphaisizes rituals and spirits) -- tradition is very important for these people.

Pray for the team as they go forward this summer and follow our updates.


Clockwise:

Nick (Media Team Member), Virginia Tech, Communication & Psychology
Favorite Food: Vegetable Stir-Fry
"If I were an animal, I would be a dolphin so I can swim in the ocean in a pack of 100 of my friends"

Melissa, Louisiana Tech, Social Studies & Spanish
Chinese Food
"I would be a dog because they're loyal and everyone loves puppies"

Alex Kate, Texas Tech, Construction Engineering
Ice Cream
"I would be a zoo giraffe so I could be well taken care of and bring joy to everyone who saw me"

Karen, Texas State, Psychology
Sushi, fruit or anything spicy
"I would be a bird so I could fly"

Katie, North Greenville, Art
Chicken Salad Sandwich
"I would be a monkey because they're cute and they can climb trees"

Catherine, Gardner-Webb, Religion
Watermelon
"I would be a cow -- they're my favorite animal; they just chill and eat grass"

Destinie, Northeast Mississippi, Social Work
Chicken 
"I would be a caterpillar. I'm weird at first, but as time goes on I blossom into a butterfly"

Bailey (Team Leader), Loyola graduate, Spanish
Tex Mex Food
"I would be a giraffe -- they're just the best"

Jenny, Field Supervisor

Ali, University of Alabama Huntsville, Elementary Education
Sour Candy
"I would be a hamster because they're adorable"

Ashleigh, McNeese State, Early Childhood Education
French Fries
"I would be a donkey because they talk in the Bible"

Joseph (Team Leader), Anderson University, English, History & Spanish
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
"I would be a pereguine falcon because they're the fastest bird"