Saturday, July 9, 2016

Dancing in His Freedom

DSCN5214

Since we knew our upcoming three day break would be interrupting  the typical schedule of lessons, we decided that it would be more fun to teach some of our classes a song and play games the Friday before the break occurred. In the two classes I teach and assist in, I had the opportunity to teach the students the song “Set Free.”
In my two years as worship leader for the BCM at Shorter University, “Set Free” has become one of the band’s favorite songs to lead. Initially, I chose the song for two reasons: 1) I could actually play the chords on guitar, and 2) the lyrics contained remotely easy words that I thought the students would be able to learn more easily than others. My simple intentions of teaching a good, easy song turned into much more once the classes began. Not only were the students enthusiastic about learning the song and eager to sing along, I was also able to present the gospel when explaining what the song was saying.
“Set Free” is a song about finding freedom in Christ once you choose to trust in Him. It talks about the unspeakable joy and unshakable love we, as believers, experience. It reminds us that Jesus overcame the world when He died on the cross for our sins and that we no longer have to worry about the eventual outcome when we endure trials. Because of that, the song portrays sheer joy and excitement about what Christ does in the lives of those who choose to believe in Him. The last line of the chorus says, “This is the shout of the hearts You’ve set free!” If that isn’t excitement about Jesus, I don’t know what is.
My favorite part of the song, though, is the bridge. It says,
And we’ll dance, dance
Dance in Your freedom
Oh, Your glorious freedom
Forevermore, Forevermore!
Here’s a little more insight into our students. Most of them LOVE to dance. After some of our weekend parties, we’ve ended the night with a dance party and gone home smiling ear to ear… as well as sweating more than we thought possible.DSCN5225
When we got to the bridge, I would have the students actually dance as they sang about dancing in the freedom they can have in Jesus Christ. It was so uplifting to see their faces shine with joy as they danced and sang. I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to teach“Set Free” to my students and to share the gospel through it.  If you know me, you know my passion for worship is greater than any other in my life. The joy I received through sharing that passion with my students is trulyunspeakable. 
-Cambodia DiscipleMakers