Friday, July 10, 2015

Missionary MMA

I have a new hobby: wrestling. I've had lots of practice this summer. I might even consider myself a professional. Hey, maybe I have a future in the women's MMA after I return to the States? I had not tried it much before coming to the Philippines, but people here love to wrestle. Many people invite us into their homes not realizing that a wrestling match is coming, but many times, that is the outcome. My team has won many matches this summer, and we are all becoming more comfortable with the idea. I hope the rest of my team will leave the Philippines much stronger after a summer of wrestling, because I know I will.

Okay, we aren't actually physically wrestling, but we are definitely spiritually wrestling. Before I go any further, I would like to say that my team has not won any matches by ourselves-those victories are only credited to the Holy Spirit for working in the lives of many people that were hungry and yearning for the truth. Wow, have we had some good long and hard fights! There is nothing more energizing than hearing someone say that their works will forgive them of their sins, and then after a long, hard match hearing them say that they only need faith in Jesus Christ. With no tools other than the armor of God, especially the belt of truth, we walk in to every match confident and expectant to see the Holy Spirit work in their lives. Have we won every match? No, but we presented them with the truth and that's all we can do; it's not our job to persuade them. We trust the Holy Spirit will do that in the right time.

We are simply obeying 1 Peter 3:15 which says, "But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect.

I don't know what I thought this summer was going to be like. I guess I thought it was going to be all sunshine and roses and people were just going to accept what the Bible said. I was wrong. It's definitely a process for someone to accept that they only need faith in Jesus when they have been deceived their whole lives and told that they must pray certain prayers and must do good works. But WOW, the look on their faces when they truly understand. There's no greater feeling than to hear them denounce their old belief and say "pananampalataya"- FAITH!

To God be the glory!