Sunday, July 5, 2015

Perseverance & Patience


A few days ago, we had to go get supplies from the city near us. I made my list and budgeted what we need and how much we could spend without spending too much. (I love schedules, routines, and planning... none of which are really part of the Filipino culture.) After we got the packed grocery store, I began to feel overwhelmed with the amount of chaos. I wanted to freak out because so much was happening at once, but like so many others times this summer, I was reminded that I must be patient. After reminding myself f this multiple times in the grocery store, I finally made it outside only to find it raining. 

Motorcycle travel in the Philippines: always room for 1 more!
After my 100 lb.. translator, our 50 lb. bag of rice, the next weeks worth of food, and my 6'2" 190 lb. self get onto this motorbike, we proceeded to drive 20 minutes in the rain up a mountain road to our village... I began to reflect on what I've been learning. Perseverance and patience blasted in my thoughts the entire ride. 

James 1:2-4 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance, and perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete not lacking anything." 

Just like I experienced the pain of growing into my 6'2" frame, I am now experiencing some pain of growing into the man of God that God has intended me to become. Like the missionaries we read about all summer, patience and perseverance are key components to living for and following the Lord wherever he guides you. 

Pray for our team as we grow through perseverance & patience this summer.

-Zach