Wednesday, July 6, 2016

An Obvious but Encouraging Realization

It can be very easy to get discouraged considering the fact that we are serving in a city with around 3 million people, and most of those people don't know Christ. I really struggled with this reality last week as I was hanging out with a group of friends. I was invited by my friend Dirga, the only English speaker in the group. So there I was, surrounded by extremely nice people who did not even know what a personal relationship with Jesus was. To make matters worse, I couldn't speak their language, and I would not learn enough to share with them before I leave. I was very discouraged that night.

The next morning I opened my Bible and began reading through Romans 8. There is a lot of great stuff in that chapter, but what stood out the most to me this time was verse 29. It says, "For those whom He foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."  While reading this verse I realized something very important: God didn't send me here to change the whole city in two months time. He sent me here to invest in individuals. Then, those individuals might one day invest into their city. I would have claimed to know this truth before coming. But only last week did I come to realize it in my heart. I may not be able to share with that group of friends, but maybe one day Dirga will.

Please pray specifically for Dirga. That God would open his eyes to the truth of the gospel and accept Jesus as his Savior. 
Please pray for our whole team. With less than a month left, we need wisdom and patience as we continue to invest in the relationships God has given us.

-Matt